Sunday, June 11, 2006

Life and death on the river

HUMPY'S BABY AT MY KAYAK...VERY BAD MANATEE



So you know how I have been posting the pictures of the cute baby green herons? I went over to the nest yesterday only to discover one of them dead in the nest. I was saddened but, if you can believe this, not hysterical. The baby died in his nest, the other birdy baby is fine. I wonder if the one that died was the weak one. He never left the nest the way the other one did. We are supposed to get a bunch of rain from that darn tropical storm. I hope that doesn't harm him.

Cousin A , Ken and I went yaking today, swam at the corner, I did the usual, surface diving, amphibious swimming. THere was bunch of talk from fellow boaters and yakkers about the 2 manatees upstream, a mom and baby. Could it be my beloved humpy and babe? We traveled upstream to a narrow part of the river and it was those two, just hanging out eating grass. Oh god, the river was so so narrow, how could a boat not hit one or both of them? I can't stand the thought. Humpy has a new prop mark, the baby, well that very bad baby, has grown, nearly doubled in size I would say. That baby has become very friendly. He came right up to my kayak and demanded attention, cute but not good. He's gonna die. I pushed him away from me. We stayed with them, warning boaters of their presence, until this huge storm came bearing down on us. It rained so hard all the way home. It was really a great feeling..Exhilarating, we laughed all the way home and then jumped in the hot tub to take the chill off.
But my deep care and concern of humpy and baby sticks with me like a fresh wound. I just want people to respect the manatees on the river, Can it ever happen?

Tomorrow I am calling Save the Manatees to see what I can do to help with this huge controversy about taking them off endagered list.

4 Comments:

At 3:02 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that the baby manatee hasn't lost any of his/her rolls.

Manatee Love!

xoxoxo
Ivy

 
At 3:00 PM , Blogger jd said...

I'm sorry to hear that one of the baby Herons died.

 
At 7:22 PM , Blogger Irene said...

Hi Joyce!!
This is soooo cool!! You are quite the photographer!! What great work you are doing, not only at the springs but on the river everyday to share your knowledge and love to protect the manatees!

Keep up the great work...I will be "visiting" again!
Rene

 
At 7:54 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

They should not take them off the endangered list. That will just put them at more harm. I really hope that Humpy's baby doesnt die:(
SAVE THE MANATEES!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Counter