Wednesday, May 24, 2006

YESTERDAY'S TALK


IVY FEEDING THE GIRLS AT THE PARK


I went to the park yesterday and gave three manatee encounter talks. YEAH! I feel like I am improving. At the first talk I had two manatees with me, and they wanted their vitamins. At the second and third talks I had 5 at each talk and they were pushing and begging for vitamins. The girls performed like pros. They finished all the elephant vitamins. Ivy and Ms. Vicky -you guys can relate to this. I will see if I can get the pic of IVY and the manatees to upload . Vicky, let me know if I can post your pic.

Questions people asked

Do the sheepshead fish pick parasites off the manatees ?
answer: NO, they pick algae off, but their teeth are so sharp they sometimes cause damage to the manatee's thick elephant like skin.

I am trying to upload pics , but it is not working this morning. I am so frustrated.

Some little Head Start Kid asked me why they lived in water? Boy what did I answer? I think I said because that is how they survive, and they like the water and like to swim.

nother question- Why can't you give them fresh water out of a hose?
Answer: because it changes their natural habits and gets them used to human beings.

what is the gestation time?
answer: 13 long months.

A woman came up to me afterward and said that she came to the park specifically to see the manatees. She thought they were such beautiful peaceful creatures. She told me her heart ached for their survival and their plight brought her to tears. I spent about an hour talking with her.
I told her she wasn't alone and that is how I felt too.

6 Comments:

At 12:06 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know that marine mammals like whales have to live in the water to support their body weight. They are so huge that they heed the bouyancy of the water. Perhaps this is true with Manatees?

 
At 12:41 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Ivy, Manatees can support their own body weight. You see them many times resting and eating in water inches deep.
Thanks for your comment

 
At 11:33 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Manatee Mama:
Well what a delight! Glad you are enjoying FL and have found a worthy cause and new hobby here. Talked w/ Renee and she told me about this site. Also nice to see Ivy again. Keep up the good work!
Walter
PS: I still think of you every time I listen to my Eva Cassidy CD.

 
At 2:01 PM , Blogger Manatee Mama said...

Hi Walter, It is so nice hearing from you. Hope things are going well. Thank you for your comment, Joyce

 
At 1:43 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should start a group at care2.com...

It's an activist site that is huge... huge!

If you decide to start a group, let me know... I'll be the first in line to join.

Aidana
HORSES:
http://www.blogcharm.com/ShuvaniStablesAllNaturalHorseAndLivestockRemedyAndProductBlog/
PETS:
http://www.blogcharm.com/KenderKennelPetCare/
EXOTICS:
http://www.blogcharm.com/shuvanimals/

 
At 8:30 AM , Blogger Manatee Mama said...

Thanks for the info Aidana, I will look into it right now!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Counter