Friday, May 19, 2006

HUMPY IS BACK



This is Humpy, she gave birth in my canal about 2 months ago. This pic is of Humpy and her baby, taken by Diane, a friend of my bestest kayak buddy, Joyce2, when he was just 1 day old. I call her Humpy because she has a huge hump by her shoulder. I think she got hit by a boat.


Back to kayaking today. It was another beautiful day on the river. Ken and I went to Knees Beach. All was great except for a huge pontoon boat on the river. I don't know how they maneuver on my narrow river. How do they avoid hitting manatees? After a lot of swimming we headed down river. I even had ken floating and amphibious crawling. He was kind enough to time my breath holding. I swear my surface diving is getting deeper.

Well we were floating down the empty river and were startled by a manatee's breathing. I was just saying to Ken I was happy I hadn't seen any manatees in the river lately. The weekend is coming and the boat traffic gets crazy. They are safer on the Gulf. We looked and realized it was Humpy taking a huge breath, baby and another young manatee. The youngster looked to be about a year old. It took my breath away, I was so excited to see them. I feel so connected to Humpy and baby. I worry about their survival. But so far so good. The baby looks so healthy and is much more independent. I left crying knowing that their existence is very precarious. I took the following pics of the trio.


End of that story.
Nother story. Today I spotted a green heron's nest across from our dock and shot this picture.



Talk to you later.

2 Comments:

At 7:37 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting the picture I took, I was hoping you would!!!
I've really been enjoying your site on a regular basis. You've taken some great pictures and your narratives make me feel like I'm right there on the river with you!

 
At 8:27 AM , Blogger Manatee Mama said...

Diane is that you? Thanks for your comments and your great pic.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Counter