Thursday, June 08, 2006

I AM SICK, THIS WORLD IS NUTS

I am sick over this, but I didn't expect any other decision.

From Save The Manatees:

Yesterday, the Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) at its regular quarterly meeting in West Palm Beach, Florida, ignored public outcry and voted to downlist manatees from “Endangered” status to “Threatened” over the objections of numerous scientists and manatee advocates. Last week, seventeen conservation, animal welfare, and public interest groups from Florida and around the nation filed a legal petition with the FWC urging the state to revise its imperiled species classification system and also asking the agency to delay any species’ reclassifications, like the manatee’s, that recommended a lesser status of imperilment.

The action of the FWC may prevent the actual recovery of the manatee population and the conservation community fears that the same fate may await other at-risk species in Florida like the northern right whale, Florida panther, and Florida black bear

3 Comments:

At 4:10 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for the outcome of the FWC. I wonder what kind of people make up the Commission?

I have an idea for popularizing manatees. I just noticed that there are gummy dolphins in addition to a small zoo of other gummy stuff, i.e. worms and bears.
I wonder if the company that makes this candy would make manatees and package them in an endangered species package? Umm - education, awareness and sugar!
Renee

 
At 6:16 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Manatee Mama >>>> I signed the new form about them trying to save the manatees again. It is on the S.M.C. I hope they reconsider what they have done.Manatees 4-ever~~~~~~~~~~

 
At 7:57 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a very bad desicion that the FWC made. That is all i have to say....

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Counter